On Saturday November 23, UTM’s Women’s Varsity basketball team took on the visiting St. Lawrence Vikings in their third home game of the season. In a slow-burn of a contest, the Eagles rose over a determined Viking team, 78-58.

The game began with neither team playing with much energy, fueled by a dull crowd and a gloomy autumn day. Number two senior guard, Jade Addai, scored a quick layup, putting the first points on the board. The ladies tried to inject some life into the game by going into an early full-court zone press. Addai continued to light up the quarter, hitting a three-pointer from number eight senior guard, Trisha Vo, and diving into passing lanes for quick steals leading to easy buckets. The zone press worked well for the Eagles, forcing the Vikings into turnovers that the Eagles turned into points on the board. The Eagles finished the quarter with a 23-8 lead, with Addai outscoring the entire Viking’s team with fourteen points in seven minutes.

There was more energy from both teams to start the second quarter. More Eagles began to get involved in scoring. The Eagles were able to keep up their defensive pressure, while Addai continued to have herself a game while getting her teammates involved. Addai hit her third three-pointer of the game. On a following play, a pass from Addai nabbed number six guard Janella Viado her second three-pointer of the game.

St. Lawrence began to pick up the pace, despite the Eagles’ early domination. A now sluggish Eagles team were overwhelmed by the Vikings grit and determination. St. Lawrence went into a full-court press of their own to finish the quarter and the Eagles weren’t able to adjust. Like the Eagles in the first quarter, the opposition jumped into passing lanes, stealing the ball for easy runs and finished layups. They outscored the Eagles, limiting them to just twelve points in the quarter, ending the first half 35-23.

Addai made another smooth layup to open the second half of the game. The Vikings continued to fight. They were well-coached and fundamentally sound. The Eagles tried to pick up their offensive intensity, but the Vikings were with them every step of the way. The Eagles were called for a lot of fouls, and entered the penalty with five minutes left to play in the third quarter. A strong free-throwing Vikings team made free-throws to cut the Eagles, ending the quarter 54-42.

The Eagles drained multiple three-pointers on the Vikings to start the final quarter. St. Lawrence fought hard but were unable to keep up, letting the Eagles take over the game and push the lead to as much as 25. The ladies took the game, defeating the Vikings, 78-58.

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here