One week of 2016 has already passed—are you still holding on to your (slightly ambitious) New Year’s resolution?
According to the Toronto Star, only 19 percent of Canadians kept their New Year’s resolutions during 2011. The statistics don’t end there—approximately 52 percent of the individuals surveyed had kept their New Year’s resolution for a month, while 19 percent could only manage to do so for 24 hours. While these numbers may seem slightly outdated, there is one clear underlying message: if you haven’t broken your New Year’s resolution yet, statistically, you’re about to do it soon.
Typical New Year’s resolutions include exercising more, losing weight, and switching to a healthier diet. For those of you who are attempting to beat the odds and want to make your healthy resolution a reality, I have two words for you: Caesar salad.
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lettuce (Cos or Romaine)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 slices of bread (or croutons)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g parmesan cheese, grated
- Cooked chicken, sliced into small pieces
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Boiled egg, sliced into quarters (optional)
- Anchovy paste (optional, can be added into the salad dressing)
- Chop garlic into quarters.
- Place the chopped garlic and 3 tbsp of olive oil into a small bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Discard garlic. The oil will be used to bake the croutons.
- Remove the crusts from the bread slices. Brush one side of the bread with oil, and then cut into smaller squares. (Alternatively, you can buy croutons.)
- Place the bread squares on an oven tray. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Toss the croutons occasionally.
- Wash and dry the lettuce. Tear into smaller pieces.
- Place the remaining oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, sour cream, and Worcestershire sauce into a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the egg yolks and whisk until the salad dressing is thick.
- Add the cooked chicken slices, garlic croutons, lettuce, and the parmesan cheese to a large serving bowl. Slowly pour the dressing over the salad and mix gently. Add the boiled egg slices. Toss the salad lightly.
- Sprinkle any remaining parmesan cheese on the top.
- Serve immediately.